National Service Scheme (NSS)
The Tamilnadu Government has sanctioned Four Units to VISTAS and there are 400 NSS Volunteers under 4 N.S.S. Officers. On behalf of the NSS, Eye and Dental camps were conducted. NSS students Participated in human chain organized by Govt. of Tamilnadu. Renewable Energy day in Rajiv Gandhi, Campus Cleaning, Traffic Regulation work etc., The NSS volunteers have also collected Flag Day fund.
A village by name KOVILAMBAKKAM has been adopted by our NSS volunteers and steps have been taken to initiate all-round development of this village. A basic survey has been conducted in this village to identify the basic needs of the village population with the help of local authorities and with the assistance of Municipal Chairman and Self-help groups the programmes have been drawn.
Youth Red Cross Society
The University has a unit of Youth Red Cross Society affiliated to Indian Red Cross Society and the membership is open to all students. The activities are taken care of by a member of the staff. Dr.Chandra Chud, Dept. of BBA is in-charge of RCS.
The Rotaract Club of University undertakes projects like blood donation camps, visit to orphanages and old age homes. Thus the Rotaract Club fulfils its motto of "Service to Humanity is Service to God." This sustainable development and the environment protection have become the cry of the hour. The VISTAS has taken a number of steps to protect the environment to assure sustainable development.
The term "new member" is used to designate the fresher or new students joining the organization, regardless of the type of group. These examples illustrate the range of behaviours that constitute ragging.
• The volunteers have effectively campaign for the Conservation of Biodiversity, Street cleaning, Temple cleaning have been taken frequent dates to maintain cleanliness in the area.
• Environment protection awareness campaign has also been done by the volunteers of VISTAS through short films and pamphlets.
• Short-films on Cancer and its awareness have been screened in and around Pallavaram
• Planting of trees play a prominent role in maintenance of environment. A minimum of 300 to 500 trees have been planted in the vicinity of VISTAS over the five years.
• The NSS volunteers have made a door to door campaign and made the people to go for Rain Water Harvesting.
• Various clubs such as Entrepreneur Club, Literary Club, Rotaract Club, Media Club, Debating Club, Journal Club, Photographic Club, Music Club and Fine Arts Club, are functioning to provide opportunities to the students to develop their inner talents
• Extra-Curricular activities like Tamil mandram, Literary club encourage the students actively participate in various activities.
• The Yoga club of the university takes care of Yoga activities.
• The Innovation Club of the university consisting of students from Engineering, Life Sciences, and Pharmacy really contribute to the scientific publications and innovations - some of them have lead to patents.
Cultural activities are encouraged in the University and a group of faculty members guide, help and conduct activities such as Music, Dance and Drama. Inter departmental literary programme is conducted every year. Students are actively participate in various Inter-university cultural events. Activities of this kind help the students to mould their personality. A Cultural Co-ordinator is co-ordinating all the cultural activities. Vels Nakshatra National level Cultural events organized every year. More than 100 institutions from all over India participated in this two days event.