Vels University Library building spans over an area of 20,000 sq. ft.Â It has a seating capacity of 400 persons and follows Open Access System blended with State-of-the art facilities. The library houses a collection of 82,926 Books and 14,673 Back Volumes. It subscribes to more than 319 Periodicals (National & International), 11717+ E-journals, 3960 E-Books, 3223 Dissertations, 4404 Audio â€“ Visual resources. Our Vision is to provide world-class knowledge resources that not only cater to the curricular requirements but also provide intellectual enquiry and research. We have a separate library for Maritime Studies at Thalambur having built up area of 3000 sq. ft and more than 5000 books.
The transactions of the library are fully automated and automation covers the entire gamut of library activities such as Acquisition, Circulation with provision for renewal, reservation, serial control, OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue), and generating various types of Reports and Statistics.
Besides the Central Library, each School has its own Library with technical books and journals.
The Library has:
1. Stack Area I:It contains more than 66,426 books on Arts, Science & Technology, Paramedical, Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, Directories, Thesaurus, Year Books, Glossaries, Maps and Atlases.
2. Stack Area II: It contains more than 1500 Books for Students to prepare for the various Competitive Examinations and Student Project Reports.
3. Reference Section: Has over 10000 books in various disciplines.
4. Periodical Section: Has over 14,673 Back Volumes of Scientific and Technical periodicals. It also contains 319 Periodicals from various Professional Societies.
5. Digital Library: It facilitates access to Electronic Information Services to ensure that the information needs of our Students, Faculty and Staff are met. Â Staff and Students can access E-journals from IEEE/IEL, ASME, ASCE, EBSCO (Academic Search complete & Business Source Elite), ProQuest, BENTHAM Science Pharmacy, MICROMEDEXâ€™S DRUGDEX SYSTEM, INVENTI Online and INSPEC.
6. Audio - Video Conference Hall: It houses LCD and Pentium Systems with Internet. It will be used for the presentation of audio visuals available in the library or in selective cases brought from the other libraries also.
7. Reprographic Section:It provides copier facility for the benefit of those who access the Library.