Vels University Library building spans over an area of 20,000 sq. ft. It has a seating capacity of 400 persons and follows Open Access System blended with State-of-the art facilities. The library houses a collection of 1,00,549 books and 8,645 back volumes. It subscribes to more than 328 Periodicals (National & International), 11,717+ E-journals, 1,08,438 E-Books, 3,590 Dissertations, 4,766 Audio – Visual resources. Our vision is to provide world-class knowledge resources that not only cater to the curricular requirements but also provide intellectual enquiry and research. We have a separate library for Maritime Studies at Thalambur having built up area of 3,000 sq. ft and more than 5,000 books.
The transactions of the library are fully automated and automation covers the entire gamut of library activities such as acquisition, circulation with provision for renewal, reservation, serial control, OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue), and generating various types of reports and statistics.
Besides the Central Library, each School has its own Library with technical books and journals.
- Stack Area I: It contains more than 87,053 books on Arts, Science & Technology, Paramedical, Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, Directories, Thesaurus, Year Books, Glossaries, Maps and Atlases.
- Stack Area II: It contains more than 1,500 books for students to prepare for the various Competitive Examinations and Student Project Reports.
- Reference Section: This section has over 11,659 books in various disciplines.
- Periodical Section: This section over 8,645 Back Volumes of Scientific and Technical periodicals. It also contains 328 Periodicals from various Professional Societies.
- Digital Library: It facilitates access to Electronic Information Services to ensure that the information needs of our Students, Faculty and Staff are met. Staff and Students can access E-journals from IEEE/IEL, ASME, ASCE, EBSCO (Academic Search complete & Business Source Elite), ProQuest, BENTHAM Science Pharmacy, MICROMEDEX’S DRUGDEX SYSTEM, INVENTI Online, NATURE Online, Law finder, NPTEL Course Material and Ebrary E Books complete collection.
- Audio - Video Conference Hall: It houses LCD and Pentium Systems with Internet. It will be used for the presentation of audio visuals available in the library or in selective cases brought from the other libraries also.
- Reprographic Section: It provides copier facility for the benefit of those who access the Library.
- All the Library facilities are supported by qualified and efficient librarians and assistants to ensure the best possible Information Services to users from 8.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m. on all working days.
- Fully automated Library Information System with Bar-coding of Books, Non-Book Materials and ID cards to enable Laser Scanning of Issues and Returns.
- The Library has been using the LIBGENIE, an Integrated Library Management Software Package, with all modules of the library housekeeping operations. Using Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) users can search the library online catalogue by Author, Title and Keywords. Also, the users can know the latest editions of periodicals, books and the status of a document (whether on shelf or on issue).
MALIBNET (Madras Library Network):
- Our Library is an Associate member of the Madras Library Network (MALIBNET), Chennai which is the consortium of more than 50 Libraries in the city like IIT, CLRI, MAT, Anna University, Madras University etc.,
- Database Directory of Current Serials in Madras compiled every year by MALIBNET Provides access to current serials of information of more than 50 libraries and the VELS Library is the main user of this service.
- Membership cards issued by MALIBNET enable our users, especially research scholars made use of these cards.
British Council Library:
- VELS Library is an Institutional member of the British Council Library (BCL).
- Access to the E-Newsletter.
- 20 cards to borrow Books, Journals & DVDs.
- Free English Language teaching workshops for teachers.
- 20 Login ID`s to access the British Council Online Portal.
|Current Awareness Services|
|OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue)|
|Internet Based Services|
|Inter – Library Loan|
|News Paper Clipping Services|
|Information Retrieval and Printout|
|Article Alert Service|
|Content Alert Services|
|Para Digital Library|